Although somewhat formulaic, Real Steel (鐵甲鋼拳) (release 2011-10-6) is perfectly executed and blends Rocky-style boxing excitement, robots with a father-son drama into a very entertaining movie. Don’t miss it.
I was asked to resolve a facebook-seriously-slow-scrolling issue with IE on a new notebook PC. It is solved by deleting IE cache (corrupted?) and disabling the pre-installed McAfee SiteAdvisor.
I think Horrible Bosses (邊個波士唔抵死) (video release 2011-10-11) is a slightly above average comedy. In particular, I enjoy the acting of Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Aniston as horrible bosses.
Watching Legend of the Millennium Dragon / Onigamiden (鬼神傳) (video release 2011-10-4) reminds me of Princess Mononoke (幽靈公主). Although this movie has several flaws, especially introducing new and important characters in the last minute, I still find it fairly interesting.
Fast Five (狂野時速5) (video release 2011-10-4) still managed to add something new to the Fast & Furious series. Overall it is a very competent action movie, perhaps with some questionable physics. This time it is more like a general action movie rather than a racing-oriented movie. Can’t wait to watch the next sequel.
Watched 2 videos about aliens: Attack the Block (UK video release 2011-9-19) and After Dark Original: Area 51 (video release 2011-9-20). The former is about a teen gang vs low-budget blind space monsters – the movie is actually quite good and interesting. The latter is an uninspired TV movie trash from SyFy channel that rips off Alien and Star Wars, with stupid soldiers that repeatedly waste their limited chances of shooting the monsters.
- If you use an NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller, note that in addition to driver upgrades there are (separate) firmware upgrades.
- If you experience strange problems with USB peripherals other than a USB 3.0 HDD, you may try to disable USB 3.0 power management functions using the Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility.
- The Magic-Pro MP-DS3 USB 3.0 single-slot docking station, based on Fujitsu MB86C30A controller, works quite well, and spins down HDD properly when the PC is shut down.
- Many (relatively) cheap USB 3.0 dual-slot docking stations use a JMicron controller. It seems that some batches of them come with faulty USB 3.0 cable. All the following points refer to this type of dual-slot JMicron USB 3.0 docking stations.
- If the USB 3.0 cable is faulty, you may not connect at USB 3.0 speed, and HD Tune 2.55 Free will stop with an error.
- They do not spin down the HDD(s) when the PC is shut down.
- If you use a Samsung HDD, the other slot will not be operational. There is no such problem for Hitachi or Seagate HDD.
- Only one of the dual slots can be measured correctly by HD Tune 2.55.
- If you put two HDD in the dual slots, HDD Scan 3.3 will mis-identify one of HDD.